A Door Closes and a Window Opens

So, a door closes, and a window opens, and other platitudes is my topic today.  If you’ve been reading my blog, you know that my children are starting school this year (in less than a month!), and I’ve had a little time to test-drive what it will be like to get my kids to school on time through the use of summer camps.  The answer is that it will be very, very hard to get my children to school on time, at least without big changes to how I run mornings in my house.

My old schedule was extremely luxurious.  I would wake up, get dressed in the quiet of the house and head to the yoga studio around 6 or 6:30, do my 90 minute routine, perhaps chat with people afterward, text my husband that I was on my way home, and come back to the glorious scents that only someone who isn’t cooking their own breakfast can enjoy.  My husband is the better breakfast cook by far and assumes most responsibility for it, much to my delight.  There’s really no reason for me to improve on that front.  After breakfast, and an additional cup of tea, washing up, showering, etc., then I would start my day.

This summer I’ve discovered that I can’t actually have it all, not to mention that school starts a full 1/2 hour earlier than anything I’ve signed my kids up for this summer.  Unless I were to arrive at the studio an hour before most people get there, it would be impossible to do my routine and make it to school on time.  So, what to do?  What should I cut?  Yoga?  Breakfast?  Showering?  (NO).

I’ve finally surrendered myself to the fact that my yoga practice has to change.  If I am just squeezing it in early and rushing through it, ever conscious of the time ticking, am I still doing yoga?  Or am I doing surly aerobics?  The last couple of weeks, I thought I’d try to adapt a little.  Classes at a different time.  Different styles of yoga.  Yoga at home when the kids aren’t.  Adding some aerobics, and then yoga.  All this change takes an effort, but I have to tell you, my windows are wide-open right now.  My mind has become so curious about what makes yoga special to me.  I’m seeing the value in doing different things.  I’m sure I’ll settle on something.  I am a creature of routine, after all.  But for now, it feels good to be back in an exploration phase.

Do I still feel some sadness about not being able to do my special practice in the same way that I have been for the last few years?  Yes, of course.  But it doesn’t preclude the idea that there might be another special practice right around the corner.  Seldom do I try anything new when the old thing works just fine.  I have been shoved into change, but now I have moved past the bitterness stage, and into the curious stage, which is a fine place to be.

9 thoughts on “A Door Closes and a Window Opens

1. hbksloss says:

Love this post! We are creatures of biology and years ago a dear friend, who is a doctor, told me that we change or we die — even when change can sometimes feel like we are dying. I love your attitude that it might mean another ‘special’ practice is around the corner. I sure hope so for you!

2. Glenn Goodson says:

Wait a minute…does this mean I won’t see you in the morning under the skylight going through your practice?!!! I will sooooo miss you, say it isn’t so! 😦 …..But enough about me, I’m very excited for YOU! Taking another step along your path is always exciting. Take comfort in knowing that you have tools from your practice to help you navigate this exciting time, be open to everything!

• kaphayogi says:

Thanks for the love! I’ll be back for a couple of weeks before school starts, but after that, I’ll have to make the switch. It is hard, but I’ll grow and come back through the seasons. 😉

3. Jovanna says:

I’ll be honest, I’m always look forward to having your presence, your energy in the studio and our chats after class is always a highlight… can’t tell you how terribly you will be missed!!!!! I’ll be sad not seeing you at the studio but am truly happy for you for embracing change; for giving yourself the opportunity to venture out and to pursue it as a natural element towards growth. Keep on blossoming darling friend 💕

4. Jovanna says:

I’m so bummed that I won’t be seeing you at the studio!! I very much looked forward to having your your positive vibe in class and catching up after class; a real highlight! I’m sad to see you leave but also very happy for you for moving open heartily in a direction that is necessary for your family. I know you will continue to find positivity in all life’s changes… Just promise you won’t forget to visit every now and then!!

5. Taisiya Kupriyanova says:

🙂 couple of times a week I do yoga during my lunch break in Dr.’s exam room. I put up a sign so no one comes in and not be surprised to see me in downward dog (happened twice already).

-Taisiya